Chair of Trustees appointment
Wesley House is a globally significant resource for leadership and scholarship in the Wesleyan tradition. We teach, consult, research, supervise research, and offer professional training in the areas of Global Wesleyan Theology; Leadership and Ministry Development; and Faith in Public Life. We work with partner institutions on five continents and with cohorts of students from all over the world.
Wesley House is an independent charity, founded to be a Christian community of study and prayer in the Wesleyan tradition in the university city of Cambridge. It is governed by a Board of Trustee / Directors who meet four times a year, with three main sub-committees that meet termly. Some meetings are online; others are hybrid with those who can travelling to Cambridge.
We are now looking for our next Chair to lead our Board of Trustee/Directors, joining our Trustees in February 2023 and taking the Chair in July 2023. You do not need to live locally but we would ask for a commitment to visit Wesley House at least termly. It is not a requirement that all of our Trustees are Methodists, though clearly you will have sympathy for our tradition and a willingness to engage with Methodist denominations and institutions in the UK and globally.
The Chair of Trustees’ responsibilities are broad and cover areas of governance, strategy, and staffing as well as representing the Trustees and the College to various constituencies.
We are looking for someone who can bring the following skills and experience:
- a commitment to the college’s ethos, vision and mission;
- a mature understanding of trustee/director responsibilities;
- credibility and network within at least one key constituency of the College (academic/global Methodism/British Methodism);
- experience of board working;
- excellent communication skills in groups, one to one and in writing;
- a collaborative approach to committee work and staff management; and
- constructive approach to change and change management.
Download our information pack which includes an invitation for an informal discussion with one of our Trustees.