Following a two year building project Wesley House Cambridge is re-opening its doors to students and scholars in the Wesleyan tradition from all over the world.
On 27th April two new buildings will be formally opened on the Jesus Lane site and the whole college will be rededicated following its refurbishment. Guests include HRH the Earl of Wessex, The Secretary of the World Methodist Council and the President of the British Methodist Conference and key donors including the great-grandson of the original founder, Michael Gutteridge for whom the new academic building has been named, representatives of the Stanfield Family including the oldest living alumnus of the college, and representatives of the Maurice and Hilda Laing Trust.
The programme for the week (24 to 30 April 2017)
Funded by the sale of the freehold of the site and by generous new donations, the college now offers:
- A new academic building (the Gutteridge Building) containing a Library, Archive, Dining Room, teaching rooms and the College office.
- A signature Gatehouse as the college’s main entrance from Jesus Lane.
- A new accommodation building (the Greenhalgh Building) with twelve single and three double rooms. All rooms are ensuite.
- A fully refurbished 1920s building containing two traditional Cambridge sets, each with sitting and bedrooms, seven single ensuite rooms, two of which have wheelchair accessible bathrooms, and three common kitchen/dining rooms
- The Asbury flat, fully refurbished through the generosity of over fifty US friends of Wesley House
- The 1929 Principal’s Lodge, refurbished.
- All 25 bedrooms have modern en-suite facilities and there is lift access to all floors.
The original 1930 Lamplough Chapel, with new heating and lighting, remains at the heart of the college, supporting the daily life of prayer for the residential community and inspiring the work of the college in its distance, local and dispersed modes.