Diploma in Group Supervision
A creative and professional training for experienced supervisors who want to/already offer group supervision. Set in an atmosphere of prayer and discernment, the course builds on key theories of supervisory practice to focus on developing and facilitating pastoral supervision groups for a variety of contexts. The content of the course draws on different modalities, models of participation and theories of group work. Attention will be paid to group formation, cohesion, intercultural and power dynamics. Participants will engage in group exercises, reflect on demonstrations in the light of the theories taught and practise leading groups.
The course leaders are Jane Leach and Diane Clutterbuck.
Diane Clutterbuck is a very experienced supervisor and trainer in the church and public and voluntary organisations in both The UK and Ireland. From 2015-2021 she was part of a team introducing supervision for all ministers in the Methodist Church in Britain. This has included developing training and policy. In 2017-18 and 2019 she was a tutor at Wesley House. From 2017-2021 she worked with Jane Leach to develop and deliver the Certificate and Diploma courses in supervision. She says:
“Group supervision creates a rich and safe environment for reflective practice. The wisdom and insight of the group far out ways the contribution of each individual and a group energy is generated which can make the exploration of the supervision question a deeply transformatory experience for everyone. This course will take each participants supervisory practice to a new level.”
Jane Leach is an APSE accredited senior supervisor and trainer. She was the founding chair of APSE and is the author of A Charge to Keep, and, with Michael Paterson, of Pastoral Supervision: A Handbook. She holds a diploma in creative supervision methods from the London Centre for Psychodrama. She is an ordained Methodist presbyter, serving as the Principal of Wesley House. She has more than 15 years experience of teaching pastoral supervision and has developed training materials for use in Britain, the USA and Kenya. She researches and supervises academic research in this field.
“It has been so energising to put this course together and I really look forward to sharing the learning with other participants. This course will strengthen the skillset of anyone engaging in reflective practice with groups in a pastoral setting.”
- 5 intensive face to face days followed by ongoing online supervision groups (6 x 2 hours at monthly intervals) run by the course leaders.
- Prior to the start of the taught component about 16 hours of preparation is needed, including identifying 6-8 people who are willing to form a pastoral supervision group for the trainee to lead for six months and reflect on during the course.
- The course will be assessed by a portfolio that tracks the development and leadership of the trainee-led supervision group.
- In total the course will provide 124 hours of continuing professional development
- 16 hours preparation
- 40 hours classroom time
- 12 hours engagement for six months in supervision of supervision group led by course tutors
- 12 hours providing group supervision as a trainee over six months
- 44 hours portfolio preparation (covenant and feedback from supervision group members; process report; analytical report)
Course Dates in 2022
Intensive Days (in person)
17-21 October 2022
Supervision Groups will run online on Wednesday afternoons 2-4pm.
23 November 2022, 11 January, 15 February, 15 March, 19 April & 17 May 2023
31 July 2023
A supervision diploma or equivalent 70+ hours of supervision training
60 hours of 1:1 or group supervising in the last 3 years
Knowledge of the following supervision processes:
- Leach and Paterson’s six processes
- Hawkins and Shohet’s seven eyes/modes
- Inskipp and Proctor’s three legged stool
Admission will be by application and interview (via zoom) with one of the course teachers. Interviews will begin from 1 November 2021.
Application Form should be downloaded and returned to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 September 2022.
Course Costs in 2022
£950 – this price includes teaching, assessment and supervision costs.