THE REVEREND EDWARD ROGERS SCHOLARSHIP IN CHRISTIAN SOCIAL ETHICS
This scholarship is named in honour of The Revd Edward Rogers (1909–1997), former President of the British Methodist Conference and prolific author in Christian social ethics. Rogers chaired the predecessor body to Christian Aid, the Community and Race Relations Committee of the British Council of Churches, and the ecumenical working party that produced The Search for Security (1973).
More about Edward Rogers:
- My Primitive Methodists: Rogers, Edward M.A., B.D. (1909-1997)
- Edward Rogers entry in Dictionary of Methodism in Britain and Ireland
Current Application Round
We are currently accepting applications for a scholarship for a three year residential student taking a PhD with ARU to begin in January 2022.
The Scholarship application deadline is Sunday 1 August 2021.
The scholarship is for £18,500 a year for three years, subject to satisfactory academic progress. This is sufficient to cover ARU fees, Wesley House fees, and accommodation costs at Wesley House. The scholarship amount includes up to £300 a year for research expenses to be paid on production of receipts for supervisor-approved research travel or conferences.
The applicant should intend to pursue doctoral research in a topic of Christian social ethics that aligns with the wide ethical interests of Edward Rogers. These interests include, but are not limited to:
- attitudes to alcohol, gambling, and pornography
- work, leisure, automation, and technology
- bioethics, science and faith
- industrial change and labour relations
- immigration and refugees
- politics, international relations, and world development
- political ideologies, economics, money, and poverty
- human rights and race relations
- war and peace, security, defence, and disarmament
Wesley House cannot guarantee supervision in every possible topic. In the first instance, applicants are advised to check possible topics with Dr Richard A. Davis, Director of the Centre for Faith in Public Life at Wesley House, Cambridge.
Download the Notice of the Edward Rogers Scholarship 2021 (PDF).